A blog about things I like

If you are interested in quilting, patchwork, children's literature and books in general, you've come to the right blog.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Book review: Just a Dog

I read a lovely book yesterday, called "Just a Dog", by Michael Gerard Bauer.
It is a kids book, suitable for kids in year five and six up.

The author also wrote the hilarious "Don't Call Me Ishmael", a very very funny book for teenagers about a boy who just doesn't fit in.

This one is not so funny. The dog in the story, Mr Mosely, is not just a dog.

The story is told by a boy named Corey. Each chapter tells a different story from the life of the family dog. Corey went with his mum and dad to Uncle Gavin's house to choose a puppy from the litter born to Madonna, a pure bred dalmatian whose progeny is not so pure.
Corey was only little at the time, and he chose a shy, withdrawn and quiet little puppy who was mostly white, hence the name Mr Mosely (Corey couldn't say mostly). Even though the pup is little, he has enormous feet and it doesn't take him long to grow into them.

For a while the family is happy. But then after two sisters are born, the dad loses his job and begins to suspect the mum of being unfaithful.
Things are very tense, and Corey is very aware of the discord in the relationships around him. But Mr Mosely is a faithful dog. He listens to Dad's private troubles, is always waiting ready to play with Corey after school, valiantly defends Amelia from what he perceives to be a viscous attack by the Pink Panther and diffuses many troubling situations just by being his comic self.

The way the story is narrated you can tell something bad is going to happen to Mr Mosely. In fact, right from the start we are pretty sure that something bad already has and that the narrator is looking back to happier times as a way to get over his grief.

I shed a tear reading this book, which was embarrassing as I was reading it during a staff meeting, but I am glad to say it has a positive ending, with the family striving to stay together.

I highly recommend this book for any lovers of dogs.


www.fishpond.com.au.jpg

Just found a video about it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ij-WXel5k8

11 comments:

  1. Will try to get this book, it sounds loving and need to be read....♥
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say, it is an Australian story, set in one of those "Queenslander" style houses where the front door is upstairs and there is a living space under the house, to catch the evening breezes.

    The kid in the story uses Aussie slang, and he sounds just like one of my year seven kids when he ends a sentence with "but". That's such an Aussie way to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son loves dog stories. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds rather sad. Thanks for the book review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a very meaningful story- thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading with my grandsons - sounds like a book we'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely story, Banana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, sounds pretty deep but interesting too. Children always love animal stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a entertaining book -- Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry I'm a bit slow, but I'm just getting around to organising the earrings giveaway on my blog last month.
    Thanks so much for your support and I really appreciate your comments!
    Please send me your address and I'll get some earrings away to you as soon as poss.

    hugs,
    Tess
    tcarrad {at} bigpond {dot}com

    ReplyDelete