A blog about things I like

If you are interested in quilting, patchwork, children's literature and books in general, you've come to the right blog.

Thursday 24 October 2019

Testing the Empress dress

I was recently given the opportunity to test a new dress pattern for Kiwi designer Lydia of Little Kiwi's Closet.  Being a pattern tester is a lot of fun! I was given the pattern in advance, and was required to sew up a couple of versions in my size, and give feedback on the fit and instructions.

I immediately saw that this pattern is going to be very flattering on ladies of various figure types. The front princess line panel has an elongating effect, and you could tone it down by making the whole dress from one fabric if you liked. The slimline version can be made with pockets in the side front panels, and can also be made in a top length. The swing version has a lovely flowy hemline, which I am a fan of.
I made my first version with some ponte and sweater knit I found at Vinnies. The ponte turned out to not have quite enough stretch, so this dress is a bit tight for my liking. I made the low scoop neck version, with the swing skirt. I was going for a more "corporate" look with this one.



Next up, I used the slimline version to make a top. I didn't have enough of the centre fabric for a dress length. The top ended up rather long, more like a tunic than a tshirt length, so I am wearing it tucked into my pencil skirt. The outer panels and cap sleeves are organic cotton lycra, and the centre is gorgeous organic french terry, both from Zingara. Alas this version was also a teeny bit tight - not at all the fault of the pattern as I think I under-estimated my measurements. Or maybe my tape stretched a bit??? Anyway..



 this is the shirt out! 

Finally, my favourite version is this swing dress with french terry for the centre and matching cotton lycra for the rest, once again from Zingara, which is turning out to be my most favourite fabric supplier ever. It is not cheap...but worth every penny.
I thought long and hard about what to make with this blue french terry. Originally I was thinking a hoody, or tracksuit pants, but I didn't want to end up looking wider thanks to the horizontal stripe effect. It would just be "too much", you know? The Empress dress with its elegantly slimming panels to the rescue! And by now I'd got the fit right so I was confident to cut out my beautiful blue fabric. I would always advise making a toile first if you're nervous about a new pattern and don't want to waste special fabric. 




If you look up close, you can see the stripes are actually conifers! And I can never say that word without singing the TMBG song, so here it is for your viewing pleasure. Thank you to Lydia for allowing me to test this gorgeous pattern, and to Beate from Zingara for keeping the beautiful fabric coming. You can buy the Empress pattern here: https://littlekiwis.co.nz/product/womens-empress-dress and it is available for girls aged NB - 12 and Ladies sized XS to 5X. 

No comments:

Post a Comment