A blog about things I like

If you are interested in quilting, patchwork, children's literature and books in general, you've come to the right blog.

Monday 22 August 2011

The half finished book review

No, I am not going to write half a review and then stop, I am talking about a half-read book.

I started reading "Snow Angels" by James Thompson the weekend before last. Today I took it back to the library, and I had only made it through the first few chapters.

I thought it would interest me as it is set in Finland, a country I have been fascinated with ever since reading the Finn Family Moomintroll series as a child. In fact, my favourite book of all times is by Finnish author Tove Jannson, "The Summer Book". But Thompson depicts a Finland in the middle of winter and not at all appealing. The residents of this town all seem to be drunken, sexist, racist louts. The action began on the 16th of December, which just happens to be my birthday, with the discovery of a murdered black film star. The protagonist, who is the police chief, sets about investigating the nearby residents including his own parents. His American wife is pregnant with their first child, and it is her first winter in Finland.

I got the feeling that the main character's past would come back to haunt him, and that something dreadful would happen to his wife and/or the unborn child. Not very much fun to read. So I gave up and sent it back for the next person to read. I was also tired of looking at the bloody tire tracks through the snow on the front cover...creepy.

Here's a link to Amazon if you want to check it out, maybe you'll like it more than I did?
http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Angels-James-Thompson/dp/0399156178

I also thought it interesting that the author's name is the same as my hero James "Spike" Thompson from Press Gang. Swoon.


CRAFTY BOOK REVIEW
"Fabricate" by Susan Wasinger

I have to return this one to the library as someone else has requested it (d'Oh!)
It features a gorgeous clutch on the cover which is clearly made from recycled jumpers. I really can't bear the thought of cutting up a perfectly good jumper, but some people are into that. I loved the section on how to make pleats, crinkles and tufts. All very useful information with clear instructions. It shows how to make the wavy pleats which are all the rage. The laminates section would not be so relevant for me, but I really enjoyed reading about embellishing with machine embroidery and sewing felt onto garments and bags to make them more interesting. All up, I liked this book but not enough to put it on my list of books to buy if I win the lotto.
Fabricatehttp://www.amazon.com/Fabricate-Susan-Wasinger/dp/1596680946

No comments:

Post a Comment